Sunday, July 26, 2009

Craving...

Okay, so its no surprise that every pregnant women gets cravings. This time around it has been black cherries. By early May I began stalking the produce manager, sure that cherry season was just around the corner. I was eating dried cherries to keep my craving in check till then but what I really wanted was the juicy red sweet cherry.

Last week I visited my midwife for the first time. The first time at 19 weeks along because I fired my doctor. She put me on 2000 mg of vitamin C daily to build collagen to strengthen my amniotic sac.

I am one to pay close attention to cravings as I always say that your body knows what it needs. Well today I had some time to look into the nutritional content of my beloved cherry. I discovered that cherries are high in vitamin C and a flavonoid called anthocyanin, which gives cherries their red pigment. Anthocyanin also builds collagen.

3 comments:

contessa20 said...

:::drops jaw:::

You're PREGNANT??? I had no idea, Sandy. (((hugs))) I'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

yeah Sandy, congratulations! nothing like the internet to connect you, you would think we lived right down the street or something :) Hope your summer is going nicely. We got a trampoline in the spring if you think you and your girls are wanting to come up the hill for a romp. its great fun, fully netted and pretty safe. no flips allowed. Take care, Sharon

Mama-Dawn said...

Maybe you can help me with my cravings - fried bologna, hot dogs, homemade apple pie, and key lime pie. None of which are good for me...