Friday, March 7, 2008

Green Smoothie

For a while I've flirted with the idea of the green smoothie. So yesterday I purchased a blender. Now I own another appliance that requires electricity but oh well, until something catastrophic happens I'll be making green smoothies. So today I decided to have my very first green smoothie for lunch and into my new blender went 3 cups spinach, 1 cored apple, 1 ripe banana, 5 strawberries, 1 TBS cocoa powder (you didn't expect me to go through with this without chocolate, did you?) and a quarter cup almond milk. My daughter said it tastes like the banana bread I make on Sunday (note to self, look for new banana bread recipe). So I consoled myself with the thought that at least this was going to be filling. A friend of mine, and smoothie regular, asked me how hungry I could be after eating 5 servings of fruit. The answer simply is: VERY. Hungry enough to eat my chair. Okay, new tactic. I am going to make this closer to supper time, say 4 pm in the hope that I will not eat so much for supper and snack afterwards.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I drink my green smoothies in the morning. What I really love about it is that I can use whatever greens I've got growing around the yard - intentionally planted or not! Right now since it's early spring my yard has an abundance of miner's lettuce, a common weed, which I'm using. Once my lettuce and kale takes off, the miner's weed will be gone and I'll switch over to "cultivated" greens. :)
Anyway, I've found that the smoothie works really well for a morning "snack" around 10am which is when I'm stuck at my desk at work.